Friday, March 27, 2009

Sit Spot day 13

Fri Mar 27 (Day 13). 7 PM, dusk. Today I almost skipped it. But I went down for a bit. I think we hit 60 degrees today and it was sunny, and earlier in the field I thought the grass had sent out an awful lot of 4 inch spikes. But my ground looked much the same, the leaves had pretty much dried out from last nights rain (only a quarter inch) and the few growing things looked much the same size. The pond was dark black and smooth. The big news, which I was already starting to forget, is that the peepers have started. Last night I heard one before I went to sleep, off and on, and now there are too many to count. There's more than one song or sound. The blackbirds were out and about again -- I guess they dont like the rain. A pair of ducks flew overhead just like last night. Some other birds came and went on the pond. Everything smelled good, like wet damp evening smell. The grass was a lovely shade of yellow, then faded with the light. The evergreens across the pond looked like they were solemnly presiding over the end of their winter tenure, reflected in the water. Could still hear the streams. Saw two bugs fly by, one like a black fly size, one bigger. Then I heard a woodcock! Thanks to deerwoman I've learned what they sound like. Right there in the field at the other end. And for the first time I heard ever so slight rustlings in the leaves near me, maybe 6 or 8 feet away. Slight, like an insect? Finally my back got tired and I thought I'd go, so I leaned over about a foot above the ground in front of me to take a last look at things, and then the ground moved next to my foot. The whole carpet of leaves/grass etc just up and moved like a blanket does when someone's under it. I froze and considered whether I wanted some creature to emerge and find my face a foot from it's. Then slowly sat up a bit. It moved around a bit, no hurry, a rising here and there, moving slowly underneath the carpet and in about 5 minutes ending up a foot away from me. Something else sounded like it was engaged in a similar activity about 4 feet off my left shoulder. Probably not a snake unless that was it's head going up and down. I never saw anything directly, and slipped away hoping I was stepping too hard on anyone.

No comments: