Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sit Spot Jun 7

Sun June 7th, 8:30 pm. Within a minute of sitting down (less) 10 - 20 mosquitos appeared. Warm evening, cloudy. little wind, occasional light rain. After a sunny hot day. Friday it threatened rain all day and seemed to rain for a while in the evening, but it was another .1 inches to show for it. Fri eve I sat, and Sat at almost 10 pm in the dark, and now this evening. I retreat into the beech tree, climb up 8 or 10 feet and the mosquitos are gone for quite a while. I can see the hay, very high now, we venture into it rarely. Last time it was up to my shoulders in places. The pond is thick with water lilies, with patches of open water here and there, but small ones. Tonight there're no peepers, an occasional chuck or call of the bull frog, and mostly the strident ones, or trillers, I haven't discovered their name. The beech leaves are a very deep purple brown, papery to touch, and slightly concave as though to carry a little water. There are 1 inch patches of lichen on the trunk. On the way out I discover a vine is working its way up a stick into the lower branches: divided leaflets. Wisteria. (really). Where I usually sit the Virginia Creeper has formed a little forest with a canopy and, underneath, the wild basil here and there. The grass, cleavers, bedstraw, goldenrod and golden alexander surmount it. The grasses are moving through their flowering and setting seed, some of the heads have separated, some show anthers and will release a cloud of pollen if brushed. I've been contentedly sitting with the huge old dictionary and learning grass vocabulary before I go on identifying them: lemma. caespitate. obtuse. terete. awn. branching distally at nodes. viscid. distichous.

No comments: