Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sit spot day 18

Thats a shot of recent beaver activity. Glad they're back and fixed the dam up!


Wed April 1 (Day 18). 2:30 PM. Lightly overcast, with a steady light wind from the South very similar to last night's. Slightly mundane compared to the stars of night. A blackbird 'checking' at me, then later giving way to other sounds. Check ending with whistle, for example. Another bird, calling back and forth, then a robin's call. Splashing in the pond. Seemed to be a duck. A crow calls out, flying by, the first I see from this spot. Two more join it and they're gone. I catch myself squinting again. This isn't about glasses, this is habit. I think, stare and squint a bit. When I notice I relax and go 'round eyed' and open my awareness again. Then I notice I've closed my eyes and scrunched them up tight, and dont want to open them, so I let them scrunch for a while. Also I'm considering whether I can be aware of more than one sense at once. I listen hard. Then try to listen soft. Then realize it's cold out, although it's in the 40s its a damp chill. After a bit I examine Plant X, and decide it doesn't grow on a runner, each plant is individual, with roots followed by a stem followed by a node that looks like its wrapped around with string a bit, and then a whorl of leaves, quite a few. Divided leaves, or stems with lobed leaves, depending how you look at it. I pick up a whitened dead maple leaf to bring and examine for mildew and there, revealed, a purple flower bud. Beautiful. I know from previous years the beech tree has a blanket of blue flowers underneath it, this must be one of the first. It's smaller than a crocus bud. We'll see in a few days! No bugs today. Later the maple leaf, under a stereo microscope, shows nothing remarkable. Just whitened.

No comments: