Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sit Spot Day 19

Thurs April 2 (Day 19). 3:30 PM. Warm today, in the 60s, with just the lightest breeze from the south, a bit hazy. Lots of plant growth. Besides Plant X, which I find everywhere these days, there were 5? 6? other herbs coming up, not including the grass. At this stage the grass all looks similar to me. My little purple blue flower is being joined by more. There's another patch of the dark green little plant with opposite, non-toothed, slightly hairy, lightly pointed leaves, very dark green. It has a square stem, so perhaps its a mint. There's the bedstraw, which has 7 to 9 little leaves in whorls around a square stem, and is also very common. There's the one sprouting from a fairly substantial (1/4 inch) base, it has one older leaf that is really 3 leaves, lobed and toothed, at the end of about a 4 inch stalk, and then more little ones coming. There's something over near the daffies that looks like a begonia leaf. There's the cute little leaf about an inch long, oval, medium green, that has teeth so small they look like 3 little slits on each side. I saw something in the pond, neither bird nor beaver, possible snake or turtle or insect -- I'm too far to tell really, it was just notable. Actually saw 2 or 3 swimming things like that. Noticed the ducks flapping up water again, possibly at each other. The field is still a lovely yellowish straw color, probably not for long. The lower field (wetter ground) is a lighter yellow and the grass there has thicker leaves. Contemplated a long dead stalk (about 2 ft long) which I might have called a grass except it has little leaf scars along it, alternate but not in one plane. Round about the stem, every 3 inches or so. A bit rough. At the bottom it shreds into fibers a bit, but not very strong ones. May have pith; not hollow at any rate. See a few bugs, but nothing too close. The folks putting a roof on the new house across the pond were pounding away and playing a radio -- a new sound in my sits. The peepers were active but not dominating at that time of day -- later at dusk they were a pure, jewelled chorus. My camera has gone to Hong Kong with Michele, so I may have to try my hand at drawing. I enjoy just sitting there, but I was tempted to play with my pastels today and capture the shades of yellow, brown and green. Today was about looking a lot at the new plants and colors, less about shifting from my usual "civilized human" state into that nature state with its own time.

No comments: