Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sit Spot Day 27 and 28

Fri Apr 10 (Day 27). 9 PM. Dark and rainy. Peepers Very Loud. Around 60. Light wind, steady light rain. Faint bands of color: field, pond, woods - woods a softer black than pond. Smell of water and dirt, not too strong. Nothing but peepers, and all along the pond, not just at the far end. Steady pitter patter of rain. We dont lack rain here. We get rain, then sun, then rain, usually fairly well distributed. What do we lack? Ground that isn't stony? Rain on my face feels good, gentle. I'm not cold really. Seems crazy to come outside in dark and wet but it's fine, really.

Sat Apr 11 (Day 28). 4:40. I haven't been timing my sits but today I do as I'm due in for an early dinner. 10 min passes very quickly. I've hardly settled down. I linger a few more minutes. Still overcast, not raining at the moment. Pond is its dark, calm self with just a little riffle near the island, and a few patterns that come and go. Maple tops are red but there seems a little orange mixed in. Peepers are silent, blackbirds are calling. The Glory flowers are hanging down. A few shoots have white flowers on them, not open, probably a white variant but when they open I'll check. It's 39 degrees. Two ducks take wing, fly across the pond, and settle down again. No apparent reason. Two others are diving, under as often as up. The swallows are back again, swooping and turning over the pond, maybe 30. The pond reflects them back.

No comments: