Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sit spot Day 29

Sun Apr 12 (Day 29). 10:30 AM. Windy and cold, just over freezing. Cumulus clouds, some big, some in tatters. The beech tree leaf is rattling when I arrive -- there's one that has a particular rattle at the right wind speed. Some dead leaves on the ground are rising and falling in the wind, but not scudding about. Only once or twice does a really big gust come through, roaring in the tree tops. But the pond has small waves over all of it, running south, reflecting blue sky or cloud light. Using my binoculars for a change I see a couple of pairs of ducks, mallards and another, and white specks all over the pond. What's shedding white specks? I'd have to go closer to find out. The Glory flowers (Chionodoxa) are looking a bit tired with all that rain and cold. But there's a white variant, or another small white flower, one here, one there, and a clump in one place. Later I look at one more closely and it has blue lines on each petal, down the middle. And back at the house I find it in a book: Puschkinia scilloides var. libanotica, known as Puschkinia. Another Turkish native. The plants around me are growing slowly, it at all. Plant X doesn't seem to have changed much at all, nor the bedstraw. One of the new ones has such thin, soft fuzzy leaves -- I count 7 now, all from the same base -- I keep stroking it. I turn around for a change and find a dandelion, and another new one with a stem about 3/4 of an inch then an oblong, entire leaf about 3/4 of an inch. That's a lot of plants growing within arms reach. I wonder if I'll get to know all their names. I look at the dead stalks around again, there are mainly two in the long round category, one is hollow, one not, and the leaf scar pattern is different on each. Not much bird activity, saw one sparrow on the way down, and another day with no evident insects.

No comments: