Friday, April 3, 2009

Sit Spot Day 20

Fri Apr 3 (Day 20). 5:45 PM. Been raining all day, and before I go out it's a downpour so I put on rain pants and top. 50s. Rain stops when I get out, although I dont realize it immediately. Sky an even white. I stare at the pond, which is in its dark, reflective mood -- every tree perfectly reflected. The red maples have trunks covered in lichen, whitish green in the rain, and the tops are a glowing red -- soon they'll flower if they haven't yet. The peepers are steady. Everything is growing now. The purple blue flower has two buds now and they should open soon. A small fly lands on me, back section striped and about 4 mm long, front hunched with two little attenae, feet like a mosquito's. It walks on my hand a bit and doesn't bite. Mostly it keeps tumbling to its side maybe trying to dry itself a bit. I pick up a broken stick to look at the pattern on it and find 3 worms, about 1 mm wide and an inch long. One raises its tip up 1/4 inch and weaves around in a circle looking for something to touch I presume. The stick is about 1/2 of an inch across, the bark fibrous where it broke and in the middle a slim rod of pith. I wonder where it came from; I know elder and sumac have pith, I wonder what else. This is quite slim. Something is moving on the pond again, like a small insect or snake. More round ripples but it could be stray raindrops. Several birds around, one call might be a robin. The field is showing green under the yellow; also one spot along the far edge of the pond.

No comments: