Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sit Spot Day 26

Thur Apr 9 (Day 26). My blue flower has been ID'd, thanks to Charlie at the Sit Spot Forum: Chionodoxa forbesii, Glory of the Snow. Alpine plant from Turkey, Crete and Cyprus. And that protruding white part is called the perianth.

5:25 PM. 60 degrees. No coat! Cumulus clouds, not too thick, medium frequent, distinct bottom plane. Light to dark blue sky, slight breeze, a few ripples on the pond but lots of smooth too. As I settle I see 7 blackbirds arrive in the maple, and I admire my field of Chionodoxa and listen to a long, detailed concert from the blackbirds. With a background of peepers, mostly at the far end of the pond where it's swampier. Haven't heard the wood frogs since those first few nights. And, subtle but definite, things are moving the leaves. For some reason I dont think it's the wind. Plants growing? Insect? Worm? Just a slight sound here, then there, like something shifting. I count 16 Chionodoxa within reach and probably 100 or more within sight. A couple of turkey vultures overhead, a duck or two flies by. Possibly the slap of the beaver. My plant with the slit leaf now has leaves, 2 more have appeared in the currently popular basal rosette arrangement. I consider the grass, which I tend to ignore as being too, um, related to a civilized era of mown lawn. Plus I've never studied grasses much, except one day last year in the field. A clump, green shoots, parallel veins, pointed tip. 3 to 4 inches long so far, 1/8 inch wide. All to be expected. Then, there it is, another kind. The one has a distinct vein down the middle, is maybe 1/4 inch wide, comes from more of a sheath at the bottom, and is a different green, maybe a touch of white mixed in, less bright/dark. I would call the later a hay field grass and the former a lawn grass. Mostly what I see around me is the clump type. Soon there will be a full moon coming up. No insects within sight, although earlier I saw things crawling in the field.

No comments: